“You are William Nicholas Alexander Raskolnikov Myshkin Freeman (yes, “Bill Freeman” is really Russian, bet you never knew that) the hardened Communist and pot-head (see Theme Song). You have infiltrated a secret base of the evil capitalist pigs who are trying to take over the world. Your cover job as a research scientist at the Coke-a-cola/McDonalds/USAF joint research centre has given you access to the devastating new technologies being developed to enslave the world.
You have done your best to halt their progress through the world. How could you know that people would actually pay money for pathetic slivers of “meat product” in tiny plastic rolls? Or that people would buy a “diet” version of a drink even though you took out the only decent part of the drink to make it?
To atone for your failures you have decided to steal the latest prototype plane being developed at the research centre. Although the poor design quality and build standards (the “Made in the USA” sticker is particularly frightening), make you concerned over whether it can actually fly at all, you decide that you must take the chance.
Determined to save the world, you jump on the truck to take you into the centre….
Please do not read this, ever.
1. To get the HEV suit – It’s in the locker room, in the locker marked ‘Freeman’.
2. To fly the plane – Climb into the cockpit, and duck when the glass comes down.
3. To open the door in that level with the crashed plane – Go to the crashed plane and press the button on the joystick to fire the missile to kill the guard (It’s an ultra-smart missile, specially developed by the USAF for precisely this purpose). Go into the guard’s hut, where there is a lever that operates the big door.
4. To get past the marines in the following level – You can’t take on all those marines (I hope), so wait until an APC comes, jump on top it, and hide inside it until you get past the bit with the helicopter. Then get out and keep walking along the road until you see a small door in the wall. Go in there, switch the light on, grab the crowbar, and smash through the manhole in the floor.
5. The sewer bit – There are three ways out of the sewer, not counting the one you came in by. One leads to a warehouse full of marines – you will have trouble getting past these with just a crowbar and an mp5, so don’t go there yet. The second leads to a corridor with a room leading off it saying ‘Weapons storage’. There are weapons in here, but the door is locked and you don’t know the code. However, if you look above the combination lock panel you will see a wire leading from it, up the corridor and outside the window at the end. Unfortunately there are marines in the way, but you don’t need to take them on as they are absorbed in their own fascinating conversation. Go back down into the sewer, and walk all the way to the end, till you get outside. Climb up the ladders until you come to the top. You can see the wire, and a section of it has come loose and lost its insulation, allowing you to cut it with your crowbar, thus putting the lock out of action. Go back down to the sewer and up to the weapons storage room, and you can push the door open now.
6. You have to actually fight them now.
7. The big warehouse – When you get into that huge room with the crane and crates in it, get on board the crane and press use, it operates like a train. Drive it into the door at the end to smash it open.
8. The fusebox – At the end of the second big warehouse room is a small room with a fusebox marked ‘Security Override’ in it. Pressing this will allow you to get through some doors that were previously locked.
9. The Self-destruct – Go back to the first big warehouse, and climb up the ladder onto the bridge, where a door is now opened to let some marines in. Go back through there, and make your way to the pyramid, where you can now get into the control room. Press the Self-destruct button in there.
10. The Escape hatch – Make your way back to the room with the monitors and computers; you can now get into the escape hatch. Get into the train and drive to freedom before the whole place blows up with you in it. (I admit this part is a little unrealistic. Just a little.).
11. The End – Go into the prefab building, blow away the vent in one of the rooms, and use the desk or filing cabinet to climb through it into the adjoining room.
- Title: The Evil Thing
- File Name: hl1-sp-the-evil-thing.7z
- Original File Name: where.zip
- Size : 931.30Kb
- Author: Nathan Ruck
- Date Released: 13 February 2000
- Copy the where folder into your Half-Life folder.
- Restart or start Steam.
- The Evil Thing should now be listed in your Library tab.
If you require more help, please visit the Help page.
Click on the thumbnails below to open a 1024 pixel wide image.
WARNING: The screenshots contain spoilers.
2Last 7 days
10Last 30 days
16th August 2011
- Why not follow these comments via RSS?
- Get your own GRAvatar.
- Don't forget that Feedback should be honest, fair AND useful.
- Please read the Comments Guide if you are new to commenting.